Sunday, April 13, 2008

Lloyd Electric and Engineering Limited

Lloyd Electric and Engineering Limited is India's leading air conditioner coil manufacturer and commands a 60% market share. Lack of organised competitors in it's business gives LEEL good business from branded A/c manufacturers like Blue Star, Voltas and LG. Additionally, the company has started contract manufacturing of air-conditioners for Samsung and Haier. The A/c industry has been growing at a CAGR of 30% for some years and a recent report by IBEF has projected the industry to grow at 32-35% (slide 8, here, pdf, 288 Kb).

1. The comany has seen sales grow at a 3-yr CAGR of 43% with FY07 sales closing at Rs. 497 crores . This year LEEL is expected to close at Rs. 630 crores in sales (26% over LY). Given the projections by IBEF, I expect LEEL to continue with a 30% sales growth.

2. Profits too have risen over the years. Last year, LEEL closed at a PAT of 42.96 crs. This year, I expect them to close the year at Rs. 60 crs.

3. LEEL's OPM has been increasing through the year moving (8.2%, 9.0%, 11.6%, 12.6%). This year too, they will show an OPM of 12.7%. However, we must note here that material cost accounts for 84% of the sales value. Any change in that, like rising copper prices, can hamper the operating margins. In such a scenario, it is important to understand if the company can pass on these costs to the manufacturer. Currently, it seems passing of costs will not be a problem.

4. EPS has grown over the years (1.63, 2.1, 6.2, 10.4, 13.9). FY08 expected EPS is 19.3. If that comes out correct and at a CMP of 99 rupees (11-Apr), we are looking at a price-earning ratio of 5.11.

5. Book value of LEEL is at 96.48 (Mar-07). Price/BV is hence at 1.04.

6. Peter Lynch in an excellent article written in 1989 (here) wrote about comparing P/E ratios over the year. (read the article anyway, Lynch talks extensively about his stock picking methodology). Since I couldn't figure out EPS on a quarterly basis for all years, I used Mar-31 data over a period of 6 years including my FY08 projections. The PE ratios over the years on Mar-31, were : 1.22, 2.61, 11.5, 14.5, 10.1 and 4.6. The stock has traditionally maintained a PE of just over 10 for the last 3 years.

Given the consistency of results over all quarters in FY08, I extrapolated the growth in EPS over each quarter and was able to calculate the PE ratio at 4 dates n FY08. This comes out to : 12.1 (Jun-31) / 10.7 (Sep-31) / 11.4 (Dec-31) / 4.6 (Mar-31).

7. The free cash flow of the firm is negative for FY07 on account of a huge capex on account of a plant in Dehradun manufacturing coils and airconditioners. There seems to be no marked capex for FY2008. (annual report here, pdf, 486 Kb)

8. Not too many mutual funds are lapping up shares of LEEL. It seems they too are bit by a paralysis of not investing in mid-cap and small-cap stocks. Even world investors are now saying that the Indian equity market is available at excellent valuations.

So, here we have a company which has - a) a very dull, obscure name, b) is a leader in it's segment with a 60% market share, c) has very few organised competitors, d) operates in an industry growing at 30% per annum, e) is growing at over 30% per annum in sales and profits, f) offers a P/E of 5.1 which is an aberration from it's normal levels of 10-11.

I found three research reports on LEEL :
SKP Securities (Oct 2007, CMP: 172, Target: 317, 18 months, here)
Angel Broking (Sep 2007, CMP: 187, Target: 238, 12 months, here)
PNR Securities (Dec 2007, CMP: 178, Target: 240, 12 months, I have the report)

LEEL is available at attractive valuations. I'd suggest a BUY !

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Excellent analysis. Can you send me the report by pnr securities?
Please email me at piyushgupt@yahoo.com
Thanks Shanker

Anonymous said...

Hi,

Hw do we know if 10 or 5 is the correct P/E for the company?

- Mohit

Shankar Nath said...

Hi Mohit,

This is exactly the question I have been posing to a number of people over the last few months.
1. How do you determine the right PE ratio for a company?
2. Is it compared with the industry PER (consequently, how do we determine the correct industry PER)?
3. Is growth in E over the years an independent variable while calculating PER (unlike a DCF)?

Not too many have an answer to these.

With regards to Q3, read up on the PEG ratio which is an assessment into whether the PER will come down the next year or go up.

Q1 - the practice is to compare PER of an individual stock with industry PER.

Q2 - I read a paper on this where the author seemed to find analysis of cash flow a better way of predicting a company, as the industry PER may itself have been irrelevant.

Frankly, I dont have the slightest idea.

Nitin Jain said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

lloyd is up 8.4% today. seems you are back in the game :)

keep it up.

Shankar Nath said...

Hi Amit, I bought a 1000 shares in Lloyd Electric at 99 rupees on Monday. Luck: the stock is up 15%.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Shanker for sending me the report. I too bought some shares at 110 rupees.

Anonymous said...

Hi !.
You may , perhaps curious to know how one can manage to receive high yields .
There is no initial capital needed You may start to receive yields with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you need
The company incorporates an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

It is based in Panama with affiliates everywhere: In USA, Canada, Cyprus.
Do you want to become a happy investor?
That`s your chance That`s what you wish in the long run!

I`m happy and lucky, I began to get real money with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. If it gets down to select a correct companion utilizes your funds in a right way - that`s AimTrust!.
I earn US$2,000 per day, and what I started with was a funny sum of 500 bucks!
It`s easy to join , just click this link http://yculaxac.ibnsites.com/uwisot.html
and lucky you`re! Let`s take our chance together to become rich

Anonymous said...

Hello !.
might , probably curious to know how one can manage to receive high yields .
There is no need to invest much at first. You may commense earning with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you thought of all the time
The company incorporates an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

It is based in Panama with affiliates around the world.
Do you want to become really rich in short time?
That`s your chance That`s what you really need!

I feel good, I started to take up real money with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. If it gets down to choose a correct companion who uses your money in a right way - that`s the AimTrust!.
I take now up to 2G every day, and what I started with was a funny sum of 500 bucks!
It`s easy to start , just click this link http://kyhyxata.freecities.com/colaci.html
and go! Let`s take this option together to feel the smell of real money

Anonymous said...

Hello everyone!
I would like to burn a theme at this forum. There is such a nicey, called HYIP, or High Yield Investment Program. It reminds of ponzy-like structure, but in rare cases one may happen to meet a company that really pays up to 2% daily not on invested money, but from real profits.

For several years , I make money with the help of these programs.
I'm with no money problems now, but there are heights that must be conquered . I make 2G daily, and my first investment was 500 dollars only.
Right now, I managed to catch a guaranteed variant to make a sharp rise . Turn to my blog to get additional info.

[url=http://theblogmoney.com] Online investment blog[/url]

Anonymous said...

Hi!
You may probably be very curious to know how one can make real money on investments.
There is no initial capital needed.
You may begin earning with a sum that usually is spent
for daily food, that's 20-100 dollars.
I have been participating in one company's work for several years,
and I'm ready to share my secrets at my blog.

Please visit blog and send me private message to get the info.

P.S. I earn 1000-2000 per daily now.

[url=http://theinvestblog.com] Online investment blog[/url]

Anonymous said...

Good day, sun shines!
There have been times of troubles when I didn't know about opportunities of getting high yields on investments. I was a dump and downright pessimistic person.
I have never thought that there weren't any need in big starting capital.
Now, I'm happy and lucky , I begin take up real money.
It gets down to choose a correct companion who uses your funds in a right way - that is incorporate it in real deals, and shares the income with me.

You may get interested, if there are such firms? I'm obliged to tell the truth, YES, there are. Please get to know about one of them:
http://theinvestblog.com [url=http://theinvestblog.com]Online Investment Blog[/url]